For years, my mom has always said this to me:
"If someone says something about you, take what is true, and throw the rest away."
Sometimes this is a hard truth to swallow and even more difficult to put into practice. If you're like me, you don't want ANYONE, saying or thinking ANYTHING that is negative or less than flattering about you. For some reason, people, (some, not all) think that they have carte blanche to say whatever they think, feel or anything that crosses their minds, with no regard for the consequences of their words. I am here to tell you, this is not the case. Words hurt and no matter how much you regret them, apologize for them, or wish that you hadn't said them, you can NEVER take them back...ever!
I pride myself on having a pretty strong filter with my words. No matter how upset, hurt, angry or entitled to my feelings I may be, I am very careful with the words that I use. I have been on the receiving end and/or victim, of some of these non-filtered types, that feel like they can say whatever hurtful words they choose, and that it's okay. Apologies are accepted, if offered, but the words are out there and are hard pressed to be forgotten.
One of the things I struggle with is the forgetting part of this scenario. I don't want to hold onto hurtful things from the past. God is dealing with me on that issue, and to be honest, I have a long way to go, but I am committed to living in today, letting go and letting God, and not being a bitter, angry person. My God is big enough to do that.
On that note...to all of those people that have spewed words of venom, hate, judgement, ridicule, and falsehoods in my direction, I forgive you. In due time, and with God's faithfulness, I'll forget as well.
Take what is true and throw the rest away? Don't mind if I do...

No comments:
Post a Comment